Most of you celebrate something today, so here is a little gift for you :) I've released Slax 9.3 just few minutes ago and I have to say that I am happy with the progress we are making.
Lets recap all the changes since previous stable version:
First of all, I've added lots of firmware drivers to support various WIFI devices. It is around 40MB compressed, so Slax is a bit bigger now due to this, but I fully understand that a computer without network connection is completely useless, so this had to happen. :)
I spent some time testing Slax to boot from many different filesystems and I was able to identify some problems, which are now fixed. Most importantly this includes NTFS and ext4 support, so Slax is now capable of booting from them as well.
If you boot from a writable media, the Persistent Changes feature is enabled by default now. Note that you may need to erase your changes.dat file if it was created by beta/beta2.
Other news include:
- added pcmanfm as file manager for GUI
- added wicd as wifi network manager
- xLunch now auto updates, to see newly installed apps
- hard drives are mounted on boot and bookmarks added to pcmanfm
- keyboard layout stays persistent
- screen resolution change is reimplemented to make it work better
- syslinux updated to newest version
Download Slax 9.3 here
And since it is 24th of December: Happy whatever holidays you celebrate, based on whatever irrational beliefs you may have! :-)